Monday, September 12, 2016

Shepherds Journals 3x Part 2

A few more steps on this trio! Once again, i'm just capturing progress images for this set here and there...If interested on seeing additional progress images check out my first Shepherd Journal in which I believe all steps are covered in!

 Next up with these guys, dirtying everything up!
 Glue down...dry overnight...glue down...
 dry overnight...repeat...
 Meanwhile took care of the smaller additional pieces..
 Proceeded to fold and sow the paper together...
 More gluing down and overnight drying...I think i'm placing so much faith in the E6000...

Almost there!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Shepherd's Journals 3x Part 1

Took on 3 more of these guys. Steps are pretty much the same as the first one so these post updates will just give you the overall gist of it times 3!

Started off cutting down almost 300 sheets of paper....started the fun-filled staining of these...
First on the covers was getting the hardcovers.
 For these, I went with plywood sheets and a rigid cardboard layer for thickness. Attached the two pieces together with a strip of fiberglass mat & resin. Wood filler to smooth out the outer edge...
 Managed to find the same micro suede I used last time which matches the journal perfectly! Cut down all the suede pieces...Dirtied them up a bit with diluted acrylics...
 Glued that down to wrap around the spine edge...

 Stained the paper of the journal's inner lining.
 This time round went with a textured pearlecent cardstock paper.
 Brief step back: Drew on the outline for the metal pieces on one of the hardcovers.
 Used that as a stencil to superglue the center metal pieces...
 Sanding & more cutting for all the metal pieces...
Folding the hinge pieces...
 Managed to find some curtain rods with the perfect end pieces! Sanded these...
 Closer Hinge work...


Kept page staining here and there....and with that the main pieces are ready for assembly!

PS, Have I not mentioned i've revived my predator costume? Work on that should be posted up sometime...

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Bioshock Subject Delta Part 5 Final

It's been quite a couple of months since my last post. My motivation to work on any of my side projects was lost for a while there and had a hard time finding it...Just found it or rather found the need to get busy so I'm picking up my neglected projects now! And finally i'm getting around to posting final images of this guy! See previous posts for previous progress images.
 Last finishing touches for this guy was sanding off the spray paint from the  fasteners to reveal their original brass.
 More silver metallic highlights here and there...I believe the wingnuts are new in this post? Dirtied those up first with some black acrylic and metal paint and then screwed all around the rim.
 Bit more of sanding here and there...





Mounted tanks and vials...all removable...





 Added that hanging thingy...and called it done!

Would've loved to get more work in for this guy but alas, that was not possible. Fun project though!

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Bioshock Subject Delta Part 4

Followup steps for this guy! Buying random stuff at stores are always one of my favorite shopping times! All I end up buying is completely unrelated and probably makes the cashier wonder why i'm buying random useless things! One random thing I bought at a dollar store just for this project was the light up thing you see below.

 Disassembled it and voila! I had the perfect clear plastic tube I needed to make the two small vials that go on the back!
 Made some end caps out of polymer clay...
 Did a bit of sanding...
 Upholstery tacks for the tops...
 Spray painted them copper, permanently glued all the pieces together except the caps which would have to be removed to pour in the blue and red liquids...or throw in some glow sticks...or rig with led's...that bit work was for someone else.
 This piece would be bolted down and have the ability to be removed anytime!
Next up is the bit of work for the piece that hangs from the front of the helmet...whatever that is...
 This was made with two flat pieces of polymer clay with a 1/4" thick craft foam sandwiched in between for more thickness and at the same time avoid adding on any more unnecessary weight to the prop.
Shaving and sanding...then a black spray paint base coat...
 some silver metallic...
 Dirtied it up a bit with a black wash and weaved in the rope...
On to the big guy! He finally got his base coats! Copper for the larger area with a brass rim...


 Looking pretty flat and then BAAAM! Black wash and highlights worked their magic!
 Highlights were done with a silver metallic acrylic that punched out the details a bit more!
Final assembly and full images in the next post!