Monday, June 24, 2013

Sculpture: Cobra/Dragon Hybrid 12

So the long long long awaited part of this project finally came! Finishing up the head and adding the blackwash all over! I went on to paint over the joint compound that i had added to the eye areas that you can see in this previous blog :
Cobra/Dragon 11
 I went on to paint the eyelids and nostrils darker and then topping it off with smudging some more gold metallic acrylic on a couple of areas as you can see in the image above...
 Somewhere in between these steps i remade the two front teeth that had fallen off and gone missing sometime ago...couldn't really match the right color but its around there!
 Below is the head and neck portion prior to black wash and........
 below is Post blackwash! mmmmm looking lovely!




 Below is the tail portion of this guy before applying the black wash and......
 Here is post blackwash!
Loving how the blackwash dirtied up the spikes and horns pretty well! 
And a final touch up on the head was adding some Liquitex glossy gel medium to the gums, teeth, tongue, and interior of the jaws to appear as sparkling saliva! Oh and added some gel to the eyeball as well!
And NOW its ready to be assembled onto its stand! how? I still know not, just a couple of ideas but nothing concrete...Gotta figure out a name too!

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sculpture: Cobra/Dragon Hybrid 11

The next couple of steps for this project was finishing up its base and getting some details done to this guys head, primarily the eyes. Following the steps for the stand in THIS previous blog is the simple task of applying more paper clay to all of the stand.
 I applied the paper clay all over in order to cover up the majority of the newspaper from the paper mache...
 I applied the clay varying from smooth to rough textures...
 Finally i proceeded to paint it with a mixture of various brown values of latex paint...aaaand then added a blackwash...
Next came the eyes.  I looked at different kinds of tutorials on how to go about making the eye iris' but didn't find one that could be applied to this guy.  So, i finally decided to just go ahead and paint it in myself. I started with a base of brown...
 Then went on to add a mixture of yellow, orange, white, black and gold acrylic lines. These i painted in using a toothpick so that at the same time i would add a new line of paint i would scrape the previously applied paint to reveal the base brown acrylic.
 Once i was sort of satisfied i placed the eyeballs in place using hot glue...
 After looking at it a day later i though it looked a little too yellow so i went on to add more gold metallic acrylic so that that color would be the predominant one...Brushed in the pupil with black acrylic along with black dots around it using a toothpick...and went on to add hot glue to the bottom of the eyes to later help make the eye lids and other lovely wrinkles...
 Using a scrap piece of cloth that I dipped in diluted white glue i proceeded to make the eyelids.
Once the cloth mache was completely dried i followed on to blend the eyelid pieces to the rest of the head using some joint compound...and now this guy is ready to get its final paint coat going! 
Next on this guy will be more painting on the head along with minor details to the whole body plus its blackwash! Can't wait for this project to be over, but there is still so many details to go over and i'm just hoping i don't get too lazy to get it all done! Plus theres some other projects lined up that i would love to start on!
Thank you for reading!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sculpture: Cobra/Dragon Hybrid 10

once again I can get back to this paper mache project. Previous progress on this guy can be found here:
Cobra/Dragon 8
Cobra/Dragon 9

It seems like this summer will be the one in which i will finally get to finish this project! So here is the next progress work on it. Its painting time! I started off by applying gesso all over the two parts of the cobra/dragon as seen in the image below...

 With this guy i decided to go with a shade of blue making the spine a darker hue than the rest of the scales and gray spikes.
 with the overlapping scales along the belly i went with a brownish chartreuse...

sadly, this guy was being stored in the backyard shed and when some things were being moved around in there some of the spikes were broken off. I did contemplate the idea of repairing them but ended up cutting them up a bit more and leaving them as they were...
 Next up on this guy is some work on the base which needs to be finished first before attaching the cobra/dragons two pieces onto it...
Thank you for reading!