Friday, October 31, 2014

DBZ Cell: Larval Form 2

More than a year ago I wrote on my to-do list to sculpt Larval Cell and hopefully place it in a water tube. At that time I sketched up some schematics for the water tube and i actually sculpted a quick prototype out of modeling clay.
Reference images and others can be found in my previous post:
Cell: Larval Form 1

So, in the image below you can see the prototype sculpted by using a couple of images taken from the actual anime episodes.
 I started out by crumpling aluminum foil to get the basic shape...

 Once I had the basic shape I started kneading the polymer clay to soften it...this time round i will be using original sculpey...
 I started off by wrapping flat pieces of clay around the foil base...
 Added some more here an there...
 Blended it in...
 Then i realized I needed a support for the tail...So i wrapped a piece of wire to the end of the foil base as seen in the image below...
 Add clay over...smooth it out...
 And then comes adding more to start building up the shape of the fetus...
 more adding and blending...
 more adding and blending...
And you keep that going...I was sculpting this while the weather was a bit too warm to turn on the oven so i paused modeling on this guy...Finally its getting colder so I will be baking its top half first and then i will continue with the legs and tail afterwards...Hopefully i get going with this project because i can't wait till i get to paint it!!

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Costume: Predator 5 (Armor)

This project is sadly progressing very very very slowly...Between design projects and my own projects that i tend to pick up here and there i've done little progress on this one. But hey! what i've got so far doesn't look that bad!
I've done a bit of work on the mask which is just filling and sanding and some giving it some minor cuts here and there...
 I don't have an image for this but i went on to trim the jaws a bit. these two images are from before doing the cuts...and a little thing happened here...i kinda accidentally snapped the mask in two  by putting too much force on it whilst seeing if there was other cuts and changes to make to it...its still in two pieces so i've got to patch it up from the inside...
And I got the straps going and was able to try the armor out sometime ago!



That's all i've got folks! I've done a bit of work on the gauntlets...got the twin blades going and i should be able to test out the blade gauntlet stuff sometime next...

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Coptic Books: Repurposing Wallcoverings

This batch of books was done a while ago and somehow i've neglected to post them up here or on etsy. I decided to make this batch a quick one to test out its simplicity. Went with just using outdated wallcovering samples for the covers and coptic stitching them to the paper block. Easy! So here  they are: 
 This time round the batch consisted of 6 books. Three of them used the wallcovering pieces you see in the image above...its golden design had a bit of a relief to it...
 The other three featured woven wallcoverings with a leathered finish...Each one a different color...
 Once cut down to their size (4.25x5.5") I went over them and gave them a blackwash...



 The wallpaper with the floral? motif had some information stamped to its back but i decided to let that show as part of their recycled allure. the woven wallcovering did need a couple coats of white glue to the back so that it wouldn't unweave with time...
And as easy as that i went on to the stitching! I did stain my pages with the usual diluted tea, coffee, and acrylic mixture. And i gave the string a much darker stain than the usual brown hues. 
 This first one has a bit of a reddish hue to the woven material. ..Tied at the end of the bookmarker string are metal rings/beads...



 Stamp had to go on the last page since it wasn't going to work well on the back of the cover...
 Second one of the batch has its hue leaning towards a yellowish tan...





 Third one is a bit more on the rich brown side...





 The next three all have different patterns on their covers so it makes each one unique!









 As you can see from the top and bottom images, the back of the wallcovering pieces have a variation in what is stamped to it...







And this batch is done! Maybe a little too easy so the next batch of books will have to be more flashy!