Saturday, August 8, 2015

Bioshock Subject Delta - Part 1

New Project! Bioshock's Subject Delta has a fan wanting to cosplay as him so I'll be working on the Helmet and Tanks piece! Should be fun, right?

To start things off, I got my hands on a pepakura file for this guy. Luckily some wonderful person out there created it and is now bouncing around the internet land! Kudos!
24 cardstock pages printed, cut down, folded, and glued...
Did a few alterations here and there to get it to have a slightly different shape...
A bit of trimming...
And i've got the base!
 One issue was the back plate. I decided to cut that off of the pepakura form since it would be a waste of time to fiberglass and bondo it over to get it nice and flat...So I decided to add this part on using some foamcore boards...which meant I had to work on the tanks at the back first!
So this is the story of the tanks...They started out with one 2 liter and a 3 liter bottles. Cut off the tops and created some cap and bottom pieces out of foamcore.
 The tanks had to be a bit longer so I added some stacked scraps of foamcore to the bottom as seen in the image below. Previous to that I started gluing a plastic sheet around the bottle...
Once the foamcore scraps were stacked high enough...
 I cut glue in the bottom piece which was the same size as the bottle...
 Next came looking into the attachment of the tanks to the back piece. For this guy, removable tanks would be great for storage and travel purposes. To do this I went with what i already had in hand which was bottle spouts! I picked out four of these with their respective caps....cut them down...
 and proceeded to hot glue two to each tank...
On the opposite side of the tanks I sanded the top portion of the plastic, glued in the foamcore cap...
 Went on to fill in the edge with wood filler...
 Next came cutting out the back piece of the helmet out of foamcore. These had to have round openings for the tanks to lodge into...
 For the back piece I went with using two pieces of foamcore for a bit more strength...
 The top foarcore piece had round openings that were slightly larger so that the tanks would recess a tad more...

 The caps would then screw on the tanks from the inside of the helmet's back...
Over on the main helmet piece, I started to add a bit of strength to the pepakura form by applying some fiberglass resin to the seams...Afterwards, the back foarmcore piece was glued on...

And that is it for now...

Friday, August 7, 2015

DBZ Saiyan Armor - Painting Update

A couple of months ago I finally got around to finish painting the pair of armors! I was in a rush to finish the two armors for the release of Battle of Gods last year that I left out detail painting...Had to be done before the release of Resurrection F so there was plenty of time for that this time!
Detail painting consisted of using black and brown acrylics to darken the grooves all over. In the image below you can see the difference this makes. Left side reads much nicer with the detail painting than the right side...
 Detail painting was done to both armors...seems I didn't get any images for the chest and back pieces...







And now it's much nicer! Sadly, I don't know if I either lost weight or my chest and back plate opened up a bit but those two pieces are now a tad big and make me look fat...which means I should draft out a plan to get some replicas going!