Thursday, December 19, 2013

Costume: Predator 4 (Armor & Helmet)

It's progressing slowly but i finally got around to blackwashing the predator armor pieces i currently have. After these guys got their coat of satin aluminum spray paint i went in to paint some accent areas with a bronze acrylic mix.

And then i punched in some tacks painted with bronze acrylic here and there...

 Proceeded to add velcro and elastic straps where needed...


 the cod pieces, i decided to attach with a piece of velcro so that they retain some movement and at the same time i'm able to detach them easily...

 some more tacks, elastic, and velcro...

 Once all the tacks were in i went on with the blackwashing! in this case, due to the texture of the spray paint a thin black wash wouldnt work on these guys so i went with simply adding a coat of dark gray acrylic over the pieces and quickly wiping it off with napkins...

 And the results were lovely!!! the wash of acrylic made all the lovely imperfections, scratches, dents, and depths pop up!





 very, very, very lovely!
now, for a bit of progress on the mask: i went on to add more filler ...
 I decided to give the top some ridges so i thickened the filler in those areas...
 And after sanding and more sanding i could see where the mask was going...
 Still needs more filling and sanding but it's getting there! ! !

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Hobbit: Re-cover 2 (Final)

The finishing touches for this guy was adding a bit of black washing (diluted black acrylic) to the edges of the basswood piece and the tacks.With that done the book was ready for staging!




 Below: Folded Thorin Map
 Unfolded Thorin Map

 Original first page to The Hobbit...
 Contains black and white, and color illustrations...

 Wilderland Map at the back of the book...

 Below: Back cover

 And just like that the re-cover of The Hobbit is done! Definitely one lovely project!

The Hobbit: Re-cover 1

So i've been working on a recover for The Hobbit book as a commission. First time doing a recover so it's bound to be exciting!

 For this guy i went with the 75th edition of the hobbit which contained both color and black and white illustrations.

 At the front you can find the map of thorin and at the back, the map of wilderland.
 Since these maps would not end up peeling off nicely i opted to find online, print, and stain the maps to replace the two in the books.
 Now the recover started off by getting its old world spine ridges (i wonder what they are actually called?). These were done with craft foam pieces that were then glued to the spine before the text block was cut off.
Due to the design of the covers the edges of both front and back covers would stay exposed so these needed a slight texture to go with. The napkins you see below provide just the right textures!
 Glued the napkins on with a mixture of diluted white glue and black acrylics.
 Next came the faux black leather for the spine.
 Glued the faux leather on and held it down using string as you see below.
 Once the string was removed the old world spine ridges were nicely pronounced.
 With the spine done, the time came to remove the text block. I'll admit i felt a bit like a savage ripping the book apart.

 Now that the text block was removed i proceeded to paint the edges of the covers with variations of gold, white, and black acrylics
 The inside of the covers was also given a coat of acrylic to cover the maps and avoid them from showing thru the paper lining that would later be glued on.
 "Bolted" down to the covers would be a piece of basswood with the design from bilbos journal in the LOTR films on it. The design was transferred over in pencil...
 And then given depth using a wood burner....
 Basswood was then weathered by carving bits of wood of and then stained using a mixture of coffee and acrylics to the desired color.

 at the spine thinner pieces were added as seen above and below. these pieces had slits at the edge that allowed the tacks to fasten. I opted for not having the tacks closest to the spine to pierce thru in case the tacks caused the covers to not close nicely ...
 Corner tacks did pierce thru...Glued on the basswood pieces...

 Folded in and glued the tabs of the faux leather...
 And now we can finally see the cover coming together!
 To the text block, i glued on a paper, which is the one you see ripped below... This piece fastened the text block to the cover...It was ripped off at the edges to get rid of crisp edges that might be seen/felt once the other paper lining is glued down...
 Wood ended up needing a bit more color to it...
 Used masking tape to mask everything except the wood pieces and then gave the covers a couple of sprays of a glossy sealant...This gave the wood a slight sheen to it.
 And its ready for the page additions!
 The maps were printed with a laser printer so that the diluted coffee dye mix wont make the colors run (it does if its printed in inkjet). These pages have variations in brown and slightly blackened spots here and there...
 To the other two pages i gave them a two line border alike the ones on the maps...
 First i glued in the blank border pages in and then the map pages...from the image below you can see i left a tab of the old map page since cutting it off would definitely weaken the attachment of the text blocks, first and last pages. The first and last pages were a bit glued to the map pages...
 before the maps were glued in i went on to give them a couple of folds, tears, and wrinkles here and there...
And The Hobbit recover was then ready for staging!