Sunday, November 15, 2015

Bioshock Subject Delta Part 4

Followup steps for this guy! Buying random stuff at stores are always one of my favorite shopping times! All I end up buying is completely unrelated and probably makes the cashier wonder why i'm buying random useless things! One random thing I bought at a dollar store just for this project was the light up thing you see below.

 Disassembled it and voila! I had the perfect clear plastic tube I needed to make the two small vials that go on the back!
 Made some end caps out of polymer clay...
 Did a bit of sanding...
 Upholstery tacks for the tops...
 Spray painted them copper, permanently glued all the pieces together except the caps which would have to be removed to pour in the blue and red liquids...or throw in some glow sticks...or rig with led's...that bit work was for someone else.
 This piece would be bolted down and have the ability to be removed anytime!
Next up is the bit of work for the piece that hangs from the front of the helmet...whatever that is...
 This was made with two flat pieces of polymer clay with a 1/4" thick craft foam sandwiched in between for more thickness and at the same time avoid adding on any more unnecessary weight to the prop.
Shaving and sanding...then a black spray paint base coat...
 some silver metallic...
 Dirtied it up a bit with a black wash and weaved in the rope...
On to the big guy! He finally got his base coats! Copper for the larger area with a brass rim...


 Looking pretty flat and then BAAAM! Black wash and highlights worked their magic!
 Highlights were done with a silver metallic acrylic that punched out the details a bit more!
Final assembly and full images in the next post!

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Bioshock Subject Delta Part 3

So this guy is already done! but I haven't had the chance to post up any updates lately...Here's another bit on the progress:
 For the rim of the helmet i went with using scrap felt pieces wrapped over craft foam to give the rim some thickness...
Once this was dry I gave it a couple coats of white glue for firmness...
 Over on the face opening, I cut a circular piece out of thin plywood to create a smoother curvature. This was then glued on and any gaps were filled in with wood filler...sanded down...
 The craft foam that was used for addons (black above and blue in images below) was given a couple coats of white glue mixed in with a bit of flour (for a bit of texture)

 For the air hose's going form the tanks to the helmet, I went with the flexible conduit used for running cables thru them...
 The tank end was permanently attached to the tanks. I punched a hole into the tanks, squeezed in the tube so that at least one full ridge got stuck in there...then glued down a piece of craft foam as seen below...
 Over on the ends that would attach to the helmet...These were made to be removable!
 Took a pair of bottle caps, cut out an opening big enough for the flex tube...added a piece of plastic to the last of the ridges to act as a stopper...
 And done! this would allow the cap to twist freely to the helmet without messing with the flex tube and tanks...
 All was painted with a base of black spray paint...
Base of black spray paint...Small holes were drilled into the helmet where the brass tacks would be glued on...Glued on the brass tacks as you can see below...

 Front light pieces were made to unscrew...I left the customer to deal with the lighting part...
 Plastic bottle tops were cut off and glued onto the sides...

With that the helmet piece was finally ready for its final paint coats!
Tanks went first for final paint. A silver metallic for the most part with their tops and bottoms brass!

 The cap ends would attach to the helmet so these ended up going with copper...
They got their blackwash....
 And as a finishing touch i went thru and sanded some of the paint off the tacks to bring back a bit of their brass shine!

Up next would be work on some of the other addons and finally, paint on the actual helmet!

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Bioshock Subject Delta - Part 2

Next couple of steps for this guy! Here go!
Covered the exterior with a layer of fiberglass resin. Added the cloth and fiberglass resin on the inside for a more reinforcement...
 The foamcore back pieces were glued on before the cloth and resin was placed in...

 Tested out the tanks...
 More work on the tanks! Addons were made of craft foam of different thicknesses and cardboard. Foam was then sealed with a mixture of white glue and a bit of flour...
 Nicks and scratches were burned in using a wood burner....
 The blue strips of foam were previously marked and punctured before they were glued in place. Once I added a couple layers of white glue these were slightly filled in so all they needed was one last puncture using a needle tool...
 The end of thumb tacks were cut off...
 Then hot glued in place...
 For the top pieces, I went with bottle caps of different sizes...Glued in scrap foam board inside to give it something else to latch on to....
 Glued those at the top centers...
 And with that these guys are almost ready!
 The fun part of filling and sanding arrived for this guy! Filled in with bondo's lightweight body filler
 And more sanding, filling, and sanding again....
Once the top part was smooth enough I added in the top piece which was made out of foam core and cardboard...
 Back side of this piece was given a layer of cloth and resin. This area would later get some body filler to smooth it out...
 A lot of sanding later this guy was ready to start marking up and working on the next couple of addons...
 More addons on this top piece...
And the next steps will come later!