Friday, February 14, 2014

Faux Leather Pamphlets 2 Final

after inhaling a bit of fumes from the burning of the faux leather border i went on to dirty the covers up using diluted black acrylic...added some braided string and some accent metal pieces et voila! 
 I rummaged thru my old jewelry drawer and found some lovely pieces to attach to these three guys. This one got a pair of wings...



 used stained cotton string for the fastener...braided it and then left it long enough to be tied over the journal





Second one of these guys got a lovely little ax...







and lastly the third on got a small metal key...







Thats it for this quick project! 

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Faux Leather Pamphlets 1

A while back i started working on my first set of books that was planned to have a total of 10. However, as always i ended up getting a tad bored of that particular stitch and hardcover making process so i ended up excluding 3 from this set. Did manage to get the pages sown so, what to do with those 3? Why not some quick faux leather journals and test some new stuff in the process? So here it goes! Started out with the already sown 3 page blocks.
 I decided to test out how the pages would curl and wrinkle if all the pages were dipped in water and coffee mix. They didn't end up looking that bad! I did have to go in and stress the edges to get them the curl nicely.
 Next came finding and cutting the faux leather pieces....
 These pieces would wrap around the page block and have a seam at the front...
 The inside cloth was a little too much on the light side so i proceeded to dab at it completely using a mixture of water and black acrylic.

 Using craft foam i added thin rectangular pieces ( blue in image below ) to the spine...
 proceeded to glue one side and left it to dry overnight...then glued on the other side...
 Once dry i went on to make a border around the faux leather by burning it on using a wood burner...

Friday, February 7, 2014

Draconian Journals 3 final

So, finally got around to getting the other trio of draconian journals done and posted up! Following the reptilian scales came work on the corners. Made the claw pieces out of polymer clay and then attached and filled the surrounding areas with hot glue.
Dipped pieces of cloth into a mix of slightly diluted white glue and wrapped the claw pieces with it...
Glued on paper napkins to the covers using diluted white glue...let that dry
proceeded to glue on the spine cardboard pieces on 2 of the sets
gesso'd it all over...
Painted the covers with acrylic, glued on the interior cover linings, and then blackwash!
Sowed these three, just as the previous ones, with a coptic stitch and just like that they were ready for staging! 


 These three were given a faux leather bookmark tied with stained string....











And finally that is the end of the draconian journals project! These three should be up on etsy soon!