Wednesday, October 24, 2012

BookCraft (TomeCraft) 10

Wow! Realized last update was a month ago! I tried to squeeze some tomecrafting time into my amazing design schedule along with a character design project I decided to take on for a friend. So, now I actually have some time on my hands these next couple of days so i'll be updating on a couple of projects!
Now, the following is the process for the next tome. This one is similar to the previous tome, Gallir. Started out by adding a piece of chipboard to both front and back covers.
 Proceeded to add the reptilian scales, once again decreasing the thickness of the cardboard scales as i glued the center scales to the outer (you can tell by the slight color variations). Cut off the corners and then hot glued the polymer teeth to them.

 I decided to give this guy or gal a book spine cover? i really don't know what to call it, so i'll call it that! For this part I used the same paper towels i've been using. Took a piece and methodically glued on the cardboard pieces you see in the image below in order to give the spine cover some thickness. As seen below, i folded the edges of the paper towel around the cardboard pieces to get a clean edge once the piece is placed on the tome...
 Pierced the edges of this piece...
 And using some thread (i'm no thread connoisseur so i'll just say its some kind of knitting thread) I loosely 'sewed' onto the spine cover other pieces of paper towel as seen below...
 Glued this piece carefully to the spine of the book...Once again as in Gallir, I used some thick cloth to cover the teeth then filled in the edges of this cloth with joint compound to have a smooth transition to the book covers. Forgot to take pictures of this step so hopefully you people can imagine it. Then I glued on with the diluted mix (water, glue, acrylic) a larger piece of paper towel to overlap the spine cover add-on and cover the whole book cover... You can slightly see the difference in color where the overlap occurred...
And this guy is ready to be painted! Well, it's actually painted already but i'll save that image for the post i add for the final staged tomes.

Tome Update: Next tome is in progress making it the seventh tome out of the 10 planned. It seems tomecrafing is beginning to bore me so in the efforts to complete this project i think i'll do something different with the last three tomes. Plus I just realized I still have to sow these three guys so that might slow the process seeing as sowing is not as exciting as it was in the beginning...
On the bright side, I can't wait to finish this project and start on the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment