DBZ Saiyan Armor 4

I've been slow to post more of the progress for this project... a bit of stress came my way that didn't let me think about anything else... But here is the next steps!
 For the white areas i went with a satin white...
 for the yellow areas i managed to find the perfect hue! Flat Caramel Honey from Lowe's!
 The white areas of these guys were spray painted with satin white first since it didn't require any masking with tape...Once the white areas were dry i went on to use masking tape and newspaper to cover the white areas and only leave what would be yellow exposed...
 afterwards highlights and darker bits were added using black spray paint, and Gouache Acrylics...
 To attach the nylon & Velcro straps my brother helped me out to attach them using rivets...Decided to let them keep their metallic color...



 The black felt was glued in before adding the rivets...



 And finally I got to test it out with the straps!
 The strap would loop from the inside out and then whatever is left over can be tucked in under the back piece of the armor...
 Next came making the strap pieces!
 Did these guys out of sculpey's polymer clay...I started by cutting rectangular pieces out of flattened clay and then going in with an x-acto knife and roughly trimming the edges as you see below...
 After that came baking the pieces so that they get their firmness and I went on to sand the edges to make them a bit cleaner...
 gave all the pieces some dents, gashes, and scuffing here and there...and went on to spray paint them in the flat caramel honey...

Added some darker highlights....these guys didn't come out so great and will be repainted sometime later on. I was rushing thru them the same day Battle of Gods was coming out! 
 Used crazy glue to attach the pieces to the nylon strap...
 left the back of the strap pieces unpainted for better adhesion...
 and they were then ready to test them out!
Then came the happy moment when I was finally able to see it come together!! 
 I managed to find a long sleeve shirt in the right blue hue along with some jeggings to tear and dirty up...Finding these guys was pretty challenging since it is summer, a very hot 100+ summer in my hometown and then to find them in the right blue...
Next came getting the capes ready! Had I already mentioned I was making capes for these guys??? I simply couldn't pass the opportunity wearing a cape! I mean, in what other instance would i get to wear an epic cape??
 So I found the perfect material to make the pair of capes that that was vinyl that was meant for draperies...Cut these pieces up and because i was cutting it short on my deadline I had my dear mother help me out with the bits of sowing for the capes...I must admit this is one of the first projects in which i accept the help of others! Thank you Mom and Brother!
 I went on to dirty the pair using a mixture of diluted acrylics, black spray paint, coffee, dirt... yes i was dragging it around the dirt and gravel...some cuts and tears here and there...
Following the cape damage came its assembly pieces...The yellow pieces you see bellow were made out of polymer clay. They were just simple disks that were drilled and then spray painted...
 A screw and nut would go thru them...
 The two disks would sandwich the tops of the cape...
 and you simply roll in the screw to tighten in up...
 Did this to both capes...
 Painted the shoulder pieces...added the dark highlights...
 I will later go over and work a bit more on the highlights since i'm not so happy with them but in a rush of time they work!

 After the spray painting, the black felt was added. Followed by the nylon straps attached with rivets...In the case of these shoulder pieces, nylon straps were only necessary on the front lapels since the piece would overall rest on the shoulders...
 Drilled a hole thru the shoulders...
 passed the cape attachments thru and rolled in the screw...



 And boom! shoulder pads plus cape!

 and best of all is that the cape is removable in case i wish to show off the back view of the lovely shoulders!

Comments

  1. hello there awesome job would you have any patterns or blueprints for the shoulder pieces ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! thank you! Nope, I didn't get a chance to save the patterns. I was pretty much tailoring the shoulder pieces to look proportional to my size and a slightly larger one for my friends shoulder piece. You can see some pictures of the pattern i ended up with on Part 2: http://janetjres.blogspot.com/2014/08/dbz-saiyan-armor-2.html
      Hope that helps! :D

      Delete
  2. Hello, First off I would like to say I'm so happy but jealous that someone has down this "modular design" of the armour where the cape and pads are removeable. I have been trying to figure out how to make this possible as making a solely foam set seamed too implausible, any tips when making?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts