Monday, September 1, 2014

DBZ Saiyan Armor 3

A couple nights of filling and sanding and the front and back armor pieces were ready to be painted!
 After sanding the body filler i went in with spot putty (red stuff) and filled in pinholes and small imperfections...sanded that...


 Once the four pieces were as smooth as i could get them, it was time to battle damage it! I did some scratches, gashes, and the like using the dremel tool (cutting disk & sanding drum) and some metal files...



For the shoulder pieces, sadly i didn't take much pictures of the process but i will attempt to explain. So for thickening the pieces i went with using craft foam. I used the thin sheets that are something like 1/16-1/8th thick. I started out by cutting these into strips that were about 1 3/4" wide. I wanted the craft foam to be thicker so i doubled up on the thickness by gluing strips ontop of each other. Then I started gluing the strips over the shoulder strips where the ridges would go. I made sure to leave a 1/4" gap in between foam strips. Once these were glued in place i went on to add the cloth and resin, making sure to push the cloth into the 1/4" gap. Then came coating the pieces with body filler...filling and sanding....
 From the image below, the top shoulders are once they were nicely sanded. after that step i used a triangular metal file to sand off the...channels? along the shoulders where the 1/4" gap was...
Then came adding the edges all around the shoulder pieces with more body filler...Followed by the painful and time consuming sanding of the edges! And then the moment of truth! Priming to see if it actually looks good! and it did!
 Started off by spray painting the white parts with white spray paint w/ satin finish...Don't have process of this part: proceeded to mask the white parts with craft paper and masking tape and went on to spray paint the yellow in...
 Primed the shoulder pieces...
 Added some accent painting...here and there...
Kudos to my brother who helped me out with the spray painting! After the intensive nights of sanding, specially having to sand by hand in order to clean all those edges, my fingers hurt so badly that i couldn't handle the spray painting for long...Plus i was cutting it close to the deadline so of course i could use some help!

No comments:

Post a Comment