Travelers Journals 1

Soooo I got tired of my current works in progress so i decided to start yet another project! Much faster one this time! I was looking around at some other types of book stitching and got in the mood of trying a different one than the one i used for my tomes...This project will consist of 5 books, 5.5x4.25 in. All pages will be completely stained and ripped up a bit here and there...and sown using a coptic stitch. So once again, because we love recycling, I went with using some different types of found cardboard. 
 I started of by cutting down some boxes to the size in which the pages inside would be. I'd pretty much be taking standard 11x8.5 paper, cutting it in half and then staining, thus giving me 5.5x4.25"...cut 10 cardboard pcs to this size and then using some kitchen napkins (those with some texture to them as seen below) I went on to cover the 10 pcs with it using a mixture of diluted glue mixed in with a few drops of black acrylic...
 Started with the front and then proceeded to fold the tabs to the back of the cover and glue...Once dry the pieces had a wrinkled texture to them...
 To the back i will later glue in a piece of dark paper to make the inside lining...
 Afterwards i went on to sketch the covers i would like to give these guys and then proceeded to cut them out of another type of cardboard. (alike the ones used for cereal boxes) I decided to go with simple flatish design since i wanted the project to be a quick one this time! cant just let projects pile up!
 The cover below would feature a simple design that will have some extra cotton string here and there...

 Two of these guys will have some wrapped up corner...

 The guy below will also have some stitching along both of its covers...
 the fifth book I went with an even simpler design...wrapped corners and two cross stitches at the side...
Awesome part about this project is that it is indeed going pretty quickly! All 5 books moving at the same time! Next up is adding gesso and thinking about the color schemes for these guys...

thank you for reading! 

Comments

Popular Posts