Saturday, October 25, 2014

Coptic Books: Repurposing Wallcoverings

This batch of books was done a while ago and somehow i've neglected to post them up here or on etsy. I decided to make this batch a quick one to test out its simplicity. Went with just using outdated wallcovering samples for the covers and coptic stitching them to the paper block. Easy! So here  they are: 
 This time round the batch consisted of 6 books. Three of them used the wallcovering pieces you see in the image above...its golden design had a bit of a relief to it...
 The other three featured woven wallcoverings with a leathered finish...Each one a different color...
 Once cut down to their size (4.25x5.5") I went over them and gave them a blackwash...



 The wallpaper with the floral? motif had some information stamped to its back but i decided to let that show as part of their recycled allure. the woven wallcovering did need a couple coats of white glue to the back so that it wouldn't unweave with time...
And as easy as that i went on to the stitching! I did stain my pages with the usual diluted tea, coffee, and acrylic mixture. And i gave the string a much darker stain than the usual brown hues. 
 This first one has a bit of a reddish hue to the woven material. ..Tied at the end of the bookmarker string are metal rings/beads...



 Stamp had to go on the last page since it wasn't going to work well on the back of the cover...
 Second one of the batch has its hue leaning towards a yellowish tan...





 Third one is a bit more on the rich brown side...





 The next three all have different patterns on their covers so it makes each one unique!









 As you can see from the top and bottom images, the back of the wallcovering pieces have a variation in what is stamped to it...







And this batch is done! Maybe a little too easy so the next batch of books will have to be more flashy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment