Wednesday, May 30, 2012

BookCraft (TomeCraft) 7

So, here's the progress for book four. Pretty much a variation of book two. So, with book two, crazy me cut each individual scale and glued each one on one by one. Well that was friggin time consuming so this time i went with cutting the scales from strips of cardboard, leaving them attached. Easier, much easier...
 Ignore the white paint on the spine, I was simply testing how the acrylics worked with the black cloth. So once done with the gluing of the scales i proceeded to make the frames. These were 3/4" and with them i proceeded to mark and cut the excess scales at the edges so that the frame would sit nicely on the illustration board.
 Next, I still had to get rid of the seam that would be created with the overlapping frame and illustration board covers. With book two I used tissue paper and when it came to painting over it, it wrinkled a bid so for this guy i went with some random regular copy papers which would offer more rigidity.
 In this case i only needed to cover the three outer sides of each cover...
 I designed this book to have a different kind of material that would wrap around the spine and corners of the book. This i decided to do with the same paper towels i had used previously. I went ahead to cut the pieces to the right of the bottom picture. These I would wrap with the paper towels to offer more thickness...Not sure if i'm making myself clear there...
 See if this helps...So one of the corner pieces of cardboard is right under the dark stain of diluted glue. The paper towel, I first wrapped under the hypotenuse of the triangle and then glued it onto the frames corner. The other corners of the paper towel, I then wrapped around the illustration board....
 Hopefully you can imagine how i did the spine section. It pretty much worked the same as the corner pieces, but instead wrapped around strips of cardboard...I then proceeded to make the round white-ish pieces you see in the bottom picture. These I made out of air drying clay, same i have used previously. Went in an cut out my dragon-ish logo. I figured, i'll just use the same one for all the books! Started painting this guy, going with dark red...
Seems like i have actually made my deadline for these guys! I actually finished them up today. So, up next will be the painting progress along with the final staged books!

No comments:

Post a Comment