Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Baby Dragon 4

Next step on my dragons specimen box is the addition of a couple of attributes.
 I first went in an added the base coat to the box. In this case i decided that overall the box would be made to look like a wooden box so i went with brown as a first base coat...I chose not to paint the two sides of the lid since those areas would later be covered...

 Out of some cardboard i cut out squares that were slightly bigger than 1 inch. These i scored along the diagonals and then cut along a line that went from corner to center as seen in the image above. These pieces would then be folded to for a hollow pyramid that can fit nicely into the bottom corners of the box (as seen above).
 Before attaching these to the box i cut out from a paper towel the figure you can see above. It is simply the a square of the same size as the pyramid pieces with tabs added to three of its sides...
 This paper towel piece glued and folded to fit over the pyramid piece. Hopefully you can understand the pictures.
 The image above shows two of the sides already glued to the paper towel. The two flaps that remain, i then overlapped with each other. Note: the glue, in this case i diluted with a bit of water and a few drops of black acrylic.
 The tabs of the paper towel square i folded and glued to the interior...
 I added some more glue to the interior of the pyramid and then proceeded to attach it to a corner of the box.
 After gluing the first corner, i decided not to completely douse the exterior of the pyramid with glue since the moisture caused the cardboard to curl outwards, meaning i needed to be constantly pushing the sides of the pyramid to the box so that it would stick together...SO, I just left the outside sans glue untill the corner pieces were nicely glued onto the box...

 Somewhere along the way i went in and pressed the edges of the lid and the bottom box with some pliers so that when it came to closing the box it wouldn't be such a tight fit with the addition of the next portion.
 For the lid i took some more of the same paper towels i used earlier and proceeded to fold a piece like the white one you can see above to end up looking like the one i already placed on the lid (shown to the right of the image above).
 The folding of these pieces went something like this. I started by gluing the paper towel to the top of the lid and down the smaller edges.
 I then went on to glue the larger left side and proceeded to glue the corners. The left over piece that you see above, i ended up cutting off to look like the bottom image.
 Fold the left over pieces at the bottom towards the inside of the lid...
 Then cover the paper towel completely with the glue mixture...

 And finally, i ended up with something like the top and bottom images. Very easy if you can handle glue without making a mess...
Next on this project i suppose it would be further add-on details, final paining of the box...and adding the glass i guess.
Random note: I started watching Star Trek: The Original Series. It has proven to be a pleasant show to watch while working with my art projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment