Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sculpture: Cobra/Dragon Hybrid 9

Coming up is some of the initial work for the base of my hybrid. By the time I got to this part i was actually starting to get lazy. All the time consuming tedious work of adding the spikes and scales simply drained all of my excitement and motivation. But little by little i managed to get a bit more work done before I had to leave my hometown and go back to continue learning about the amazing world of interior design!
 So, for the base i decided to make it resemble some kind of peeling bark. For this i made the pieces you can see in the image above. For those i cut some cardboard box in the jagged shapes and then using the paper clay i make (got the recipe here) I added a coat of the clay, about 1/8in to one side. Once dry they actually curved a little, but that was no problem for my design this time round.
 Out of those jagged pieces i bent them, they cracked where i bent them, but the cardboard kept it together. This i did to have the pieces wrap around the branch nicely. Hot glued these in the desired place...
 Then using the flour+water, paper mache paste I went on to add a layer of newspaper. While doing this i intentionally gave it some longitudinal fold instead of smoothing the newspaper over the surface...
 Before gluing some of the 'bark peels' (ex: top) I first applied some spray paint. Had i not done so i would have had some trouble getting to paint the crevice that was created by the 'bark peel'. After the newspaper layer i then added a layer of paper clay, making have a rough surface as i went.
 The image you see above, that's as far as my enthusiasm went. I drained my artistic patience..I finished the batch of paper clay i had made and was too lazy to make some more so i didn't get to finish adding the clay to the bottom portion of the stand...
Somehow i managed to finish adding the scales to the top portion of my hybrid! And with that, i'm a huge step closer to finishing this project!
That done, i am down to: making the eyes, some minor details, finish adding the clay to the stand, paint the stand, paint both parts of the hybrid, add the joining piece, paint the joining piece, and FINALLY add the blackwash! Yes, i've already dreamed of doing all this a couple of times...
So, with this post done, this project is officially on hold. I'm out of my hometown where this guy will stay safe and off to study again.

No comments:

Post a Comment